Brake fade

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Brake fade
From: uunet!sco.COM!banta@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Beast)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 90 7:30:31 PST
    Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 15:03:19 -0500
    From: speedy!gerry@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

    I was very surprised that the brakes did manage to fade, especially since
    I have had the car for almost 3 years now, it has never happened to me
    before.

Before rallying any further, I would suggest the $50 investment in
Ferodo DS-11 pads.  These are incredibly hard competition brake
pads.  They're good at cold temperatures and excellent once they
warm up.

I have had no sign of fade with these pads at all.  I could easily
induce fade with no-name semi-metallics before.  Since putting them
on, there have been a couple times I've gotten out of the car after
a hard run and the brakes (probably dirt, scum, whatever on them)
have been smoking.  My guess is I do more damage to the rotors than
the pads with this kind of braking now.

Make sure you request the DS-11 compound.  Ferodo makes several
softer pads which I can't speak for.

andy
uunet!sco!banta