[no subject]

To: hoosier!sol@cs
From: mit-eddie!p42.f4.n105.z1.FIDONET.ORG!George.Emery@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (George Emery)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 90 22:09:32 PST
 >     It's a retired race car (retired after part of the suspension fell off
 > during its 3rd race) and has no interior but seems to be in accptable
 > condition. One of the mini catalogs claims the 850 version can do 0-60
 > in the 6 second range before the nitrous system so I have something to
 > work towards.

One of the easy mods for getting a Mini to accelerate fast is to swap the
final drive for an Austin America's.  0-60 is incredibly quick, but you
won't go much faster than 65 mph!  The 850 is good for about 60-65 hp
in full racing form... get the car down to race weight (1000 lbs) and
you won't have any trouble getting in the 6 second range.

 > First off is replacing a bent, uh, I think it's a control
 > arm and finding out why the car sits about 2 inches lower on the right side,
 > and a drivers side window, it's a '66 which make is a mark I (I think),
 > so it's a sliding window, lots of used spares for these things.

If it's a '66, then it's a Mk II.  If the rear window is 37" x 13", then
it's a Mk II (smaller is Mk I).  If it has Hydrolastic suspension, then
it's a Mk II.  It probably is a Mk II if the taillights are boxy (are there
any on your ex-racer?), though many Mk Is have had their taillights
converted to Mk II -- look inside the trunk for patches/bondo.

If you have Hydrolastic suspension and the car is leaning, then you've
sprung a leak.
--
George Emery - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
            UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!4.42!George.Emery