jaguars

To: british-cars@Alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: jaguars
From: R. Eugene Johnston (smp) <mit-eddie!cs.unc.edu!rej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 09:12:25 -0500
Looking at Hemmings as a price guide and the local paper (Raleigh NC)
the price of XJ6 and XJ12's of the 70's vintage seem to be at the
bottom. $7000 is a reasonable price assuming it is in good condition.
All jag sedans are "fully loaded" and beginning in "73" on ie, series
2 and 3, you have more complicated heating and air conditioning systems,
I don't know when fuel injection started. A year ago I looked at a
76 or 77 (don't remember) xj12l and they were asking $4000. I took it
to a british car shop and had the mechanic go over it and give me an
estimate of it's condition and costs for repairs, The car looked
good, but had been sadly neglected and would have cost many thousands
of dollars to repair (assuming you paid someone to do the work). My
friend, who is a prof. mechanic, just picked up a '77 xj6 that was in
beautiful condition with minor work needed for around $7k. Go look at
the car? If you don't feel competant to judge it's condition, I recommend
you take it to someone you trust. Jag's can be VERY expensive to repair.