Sheared Stud Problem

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Sheared Stud Problem
From: Dale C. Cook <mit-eddie!pinocchio.encore.com!cook@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 13:48:01 EST
There's one solution I haven't heard proposed that might help.
If you tried the extractor in the center of the stud and if their is still
some room between the circle of the broken extractor and the head, you
might be able to drill two smaller holes on either side of the broken
extractor on a diameter.  Then you can fabricate a tool (basically just
a lever) by carefully drilling, tapping and screwing two screws in the
lever to match your holes.  (I wish I had a graphics terminal to show
you; I'm not even going to try to draw it in ascii!)  Now your leverage
is determined by the spacing of the holes and the length of the arm on
your tool.  The torque you can apply is obviously practically limited
by the strength of the screw material.  Maybe this plus liquid wrench
or heat might just do it.
        - Dale