RE: Hydraulic systems

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: RE: Hydraulic systems
From: Kevin Spooner <mit-eddie!hpfcmw.fc.hp.com!spooner@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 90 19:02:08 est
THE HOW TO GUIDE ON BRAKE FLUID REPLACEMENT.

IF you remove the cover on your master cylinder you will probably note
a murky black liquid substance.  This is accually made up of brake fluid
water, dirt, bits of rubber seals, and finely ground aluminum.  If you
stick your finger to the bottom of this murk you will probably find
a more solid paste that are the larger particles that settle out of this
goo.  Oviously if you are going to replace your brake fluid you want to
get rid of all of this mess.  I have found the only satifacory method
is a complete overhaul on the cyliners.  This means honing them and
replacing all of the rubber even if it apears to be ok (REMEMBER: Don't
touch any of the new rubber with you hands, I either coat my hands with
new brake fluid or wear dispsible plastic gloves.)  While you have all of
the cylinders off the car you can now attach some plastic bags over the
ends of the brake lines and GENTLY blow the old fluid out of the system.

I then rinse with rubbing alcohol til you have clean fluid flowing though the
whole system.  Now remove the bags snd dispose of them carefully remember
brake fluid eats paint.  finally you can blow the lines dry with air and
reassemble the cylinders.  You are now ready to add silicon brake fluid
to your system.  This will take about a quart so have plenty on hand.
Carefully bleed your system following the shop manual for proper order.

NOTE: I have noticed with the silicon brake fluid and new rubber that
sometimes a cylinder will stick so be careful at first and test the
system on back streets until you are sure you have it functioning properly.

Kevin Spooner
The Sports Works of Greeley
Specializing in TRIUMPHS and Brithish Clasics