carb rebuild

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: carb rebuild
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 90 16:32:01 PST
I'm collecting parts and wisdom in preparation for rebuilding the
Stromberg 175 CD carbs on my TR-4A. I have rebuild kits, have throttle
shaft bushing kits on order. The only thing left is needles. TRF wasn't
willing to recommend, said I should see what I was running.

OK, I pull the air cylinder out of the rear carb, and go to undo the
set screw. There's no set screw! Some damn fool has epoxied the needle
in! I reassemble, take apart the front, find a nice "2H" stamped on the
end, clean up and go away muttering.

Fine, I'll order 2H needles. Anybody got any ideas about how I'm going
to get the one that's epoxied out? How about suggestions for cleaning
the thread so I can put a proper set screw in? The best I've come up
with so far is cutting off the needle flush, drilling out the stub, and
reaming out the hole. Much the same for the set screw, with a tap step
instead of reaming at the end. Any other words of wisdom?

(Yes, I know that I'm chancing letting the magic out of my carbs by
disassembling them. Appropriate incantations welcome. The thing is,
there's so much air leakage around the throttle shafts, and so much gas
dripping from the jet adjuster, that I just can't put up with it any more...)

chris