Re: The Prisoner/Lotus

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: The Prisoner/Lotus
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 11:42:44 CDT

>  For those that aren't aware of it, Alt.prisoner now exists
> on USENET. What does this have to do with brit.cars?
>  Why, KAR123 of course!
>  That is, the Lotus 7 that Patrick McGoohan drives in the
> opening credits. (And in Secret Agent and a couple of films.)
>  Was this a real Lotus, or one of the repro's?
>  Whatever happened to it?
>  I have wanted one of these ever since I saw the show as a
> kid, but money and opportunity never got close enough to
> achieve fusion.
>  Oh well.
>
>  Aran Guy  guy@bevsun.bev.lbl.gov

I used to watch Secret Agent (aka Danger Man in the UK) all the time.
Liked  the Danger Man harpsichord-and-horns theme better than the
Johnny Rivers Secret Agent theme.  I have even seen it replayed on our
local PBS channel in past years.  I NEVER remember the Seven from the
Prisoner showing up.  As a Britcar-obsessed kid (now quasi-adult) I
would have noticed it.  John Drake generally drove a Mini.  He did not
wear his seatbelts, though.  Bad move, Drake.  Once in Whales he
picked up a "stranded motorcyclist"  who did not remove his skid lid
when he got in the Mini.  As he put on the three-points, Drake
remarked "You like to be safe, eh?" or some such.  "Always".  As they
motored down the road, the cyclist reached over and turned the
steering wheel, sending them into a tree.  Drake smashed uncon. into
the windscreen.  Cyclist calmly unbuckled, got out and put his
suitcase full of stolen goods into the boot and walked off to call the
cops.  Drake was not in a good position to argue and wound up in gaol
with a hell of a headache.  In true TV style, he never learned from
this.  I remember seeing a   number of nondescript European cars when
he was out of the country.  Once in South America, he had a Square
Bird.  He was undercover as a bad guy.  When the time came to blow his
cover and save the girl or whatever, he was to meet his fellow bad
guys on a rural road.  One bad guy's waiting  for him in the middle of
the road, so as he passed the guy at speed, he opened the driver's
door and knoked him down with it.   Anyway, I never remember seeing a
Lotus 7 in Secret Agent.   phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324