oil pressure (Re: my new 73 jag)

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: oil pressure (Re: my new 73 jag)
From: mit-eddie!aberffraw.sw.stratus.com!caloccia@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 90 11:25:38 -0500
>       One thing the previous owner's husband said is that the oil
>       light will come on when the car's hot and stopped ie traffic light.
>       The owners manual gives a pressure to maintain at 3000RPM
>           (40 I think) which isn't a problem, but what about at idle, are
>       other jags the same?

                Presuming that the oil pump is driven of the crank or cam,
        a linear increase in rev's should produce a nearly linear increase
        in presure. (I don't know about Jag's in particular)

                I do recall reading (Smokey's book I think) that oil pressure
        ought to be something like 10 lbs/1000 rpm on a race parepared V8
        (where you need enough oil, but you don't want to waste horses on
        higher pressure)).

                The four banger in my Honda seems a bit tight, but  pressure
        is fairly linear from 30lbs (idle) up to about a max of 75lbs (cold,
        a few pounds less when warm). [I never did check to see what the
        spec's were... 25,000 miles and it's working well, so...]

                I do know that in the early '80's GM V6's, the oil light
        coming on at stops indicates that it is time for either an oil
        pump replacement and/or a bottom end rebuild... (another bad
        roger product).

                You may want to get yourself an oil pressure guage to
        watch this more closely. Also check to see what the pressure
        switch cuts in at, usualy they are quite low (single digits)...

                --bill