Steering Wheel Conversion

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Steering Wheel Conversion
From: Scott Turner <mit-eddie!CS.UCLA.EDU!srt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 90 16:51:20 PST
>Thanks Tim, but I think it would be pretty hard to mount the spare tire
>on a steering wheel. Besides, the wheels are 4-bolt. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Well, I wasn't going to bring this up until Fall, but since Roger
mentions it, has anyone else attempted this conversion?  I've managed
to get the spare tire mounted on the steering column, but now I can't
see out the front windshield and I can't reach the turn stalk.  I've
solved the latter problem by relocating the turn stalk into the glove
compartment (but I need a co-pilot in the passenger seat), but I don't
see what to do about the visibility problem.  I've been driving in
reverse for the past two weeks, but I've developed a bad crick in my
neck and I'm looking for a better solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

On another note, my clutch seems to be stuck and I'm thinking about
mounting a triple SU setup in place of the stock single Z-S.

                                        -- Scott Turner

PS.  Good to be back.  :-)