A new era

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: A new era
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 90 11:54:20 EST
We spent a lot of time on Bridget, doing the body and paint, only to have
the head gasket blow. So we put in a spare engine, only to have the rod
bearing go. So, as previously reported, she became the first project to enter
the ALL NEW SLCFWSC, after 5 years of waiting. We've been looking to having
her back on the road. But...
        For Sale: MGB-GT. 1971 British Racing Green.
That's part of what an ad will say. It's hard- We've never *sold* an MG
before. Yes, really. We're going to sell Tilly's GT. :-(  Bridget was her
first car, after all. First, I've got to get the original engine
reassembled and installed, hopefully, by the end of summer.
        That's the sad news. But, it's not all bad. We decided to upgrade.
Bridget has a fair bit of fiberglass (Not Bondo!) in her, and is solid, and
will be a good driver for quite a while. But, looking towards the future
she will begin to deteriate, and would really take quite a bit of work to
do a "proper" restoration on. We've been talking about future thoughts of
trying to search the south for good original car (& transport it home) and
doing it up, or buying a new ($$$) body shell or...
        Well, there's this guy up the road who does a LOT of B's, and had
managed to snag a good deal on a '74 GT. Then he started to make anoying
comments, like "The body on this B is one of the best I've ever gotten
hold of" . This was about the same time I was starting to work on Bridget.
And starting to think what will become on my labour over the next few years.
And the price of B's. I had to go over there to get a "Rostyle" wheel
anyhow...
        He hadn't done much to it yet. just replaced the L. dogleg, the only
problem area on it. I took a look. Needs an interior. "I'm just going to
clean it up and do a quick paint job on it- try to make some money. Can't
really make any money doing it right." sez he. I looked some more. "It's
from D.C, or Virginia. The only winter it's seen is that Bozo I bought
it from" Nice body. Needs short-term touch-up, bushings, and the likes, but
it's in better original condition than *any* of my cars. Eventually a full
paint job, and it'll be a very nice car.
        I went home, and talked to Tilly. "Sell Bridget? (pout)". Tilly
knows the long-term value of having a clean car as well as I do. Saturday,
she said "lets go have a look. As long as I get to drive Bridget again
before we sell her." So we looked. We talked. We looked at Larry's gorges
'70 roadster. "Been doing a little work on it. :-)" and his *excellent*
'64 Sprite. "I think I'm really going to get serious about selling it this
year" (If anybody is looking for one, I think it's about $4K.)
blah, blah. haggle haggle.
        The bottom line is $2400 for a nice, clean *running*  '74 GT, needs
attention. And Bridget will be for sale. Less than a month after the
grand opening of the new shop, and they're already comming and going. If
we can find a sitter for Kim, we may still make the Outback IV, and it
will be in the new GT, which will be comming home this weekend. :-) :-)
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!