Appreciating Car Values Again

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Appreciating Car Values Again
From: linus!xait!pyrthoth.pyramid.com!robbp@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rob Pryor)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 90 11:37:21 PST
Today's (3/20/90) Wall Street Journal has an article about cars as "Hot
Collectibles".  It supports the theory that the rise in car prices is
limited to the cars that "Baby Boomers" wanted when they were in high
school or maybe college.  That means cars of the 50's, 60's and 70's and
more specifically American muscle cars.  Cars from earlier periods are
declining in price because, "People who relate to Model A roadsters and
Stutzs are dying off".  I have heard similar things as much as a year ago,
either there's some truth to it or enough people have suggested it so that
it has become self-fulfilling.

Of course, all the rules concerning collectibles in general (condition,
demand, rarity), apply to cars as well.  This would tend to suggest that
the British cars most likely to rise the most in price are those that were
desirable to, but unattainable by, baby boomer teens.

The question I have is: Will prices of these cars follow the pattern of
prices for pre-WWII cars?
--