Re: Appreciating Car Values Again

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: Re: Appreciating Car Values Again
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 9:43:19 EDT
Hate to get into price discussions, but I don't see any reason to see
why the stuff we love won't follow the smae pattern:

        1). Prices start up when the guys who were 18 when the things
        were new turn forty
        2).  They go really up when the guys who were 12 when the
        things were new turn forty
        3).  The price rise slows as the cohort reaches 60-65
        4).  Prices slowly fall as the reach 75 and die.

You can already see this with MGs.  TCs went way up in price in the
early '70s and have been stable for some time.  TD prices have now just
about caught them and A and soon B prices aren't far behind.

The wrinkle is the "Dark Ages" the period between 73 (when the smog
rules got really tuff) and ~'84 (when computer controlled FI made fun
cars possible again).  NOthing of real interest was built during this
period and the guys who'd buy cars from this period when they hit forty
probably won't want them (would you restore a Mustang II?).  This couyld
extend the time during which '60s iron keeps its value (or rather their
"price" - the value was and always will be there).

I'm just glad we've hung on to our Healey all these years (never figured
I'd own anything whose price in a Brit mag would be listed as "POA").

Mike Tobin