TR-8 story continued (4/4)

To: sol%HOOSIER@cs
Subject: TR-8 story continued (4/4)
From: Lawrence Buja <mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!ccm0b%PURCCVM.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 1990 14:35 EST

    This is the fourth in a series of the TR-8 saga....

    During our drive back from Utah, we noticed that the temperature
 gauge never got above the 1/4 mark, and the heater just wasn't up to
 the task of keeping us warm.  This wasn't a real item of concern just
 yet as I didn't want to run the risk of overheating an aluminum engine
 when the weather got really hot.  It did get some attention the next
 spring when I got the clutch fixed in early April.  Going out for a
 spin even with the top up was just a little bit too chilly with a
 barely operable heater.  As I wanted to drive it to work for a while
 to get the bugs sorted out, I decided to check on the thermostat.  In
 a previous installment, you heard that this TR-8 had experienced a
 Loss Of Coolant Accident and suffered the inevitable subsequent
 overheating while in the canyons above Salt Lake City.  A common
 failure mode of thermostats is to stick in the fully open position if
 the engine has overheated, and that is exactly what happened to this
 one.  I replaced it with a new one, which made quite a difference in
 the operating temperature--the gauge now runs between the 1/4 and 1/2
 marks, and the heater became very effective.

    The next item to resolve was the convertible top.  The top itself
 was in good condition, but the windows had turned opaque with age and
 had cracked in a number of places.  I know, you're all saying to
 yourself "Who drives with the top UP?", but I would rather have clear
 windows that don't let the rain in when the occasional gulley washer
 roars through northern Illinois.  I ordered a new top from The
 Roadster Factory and it soon arrived.  A few calls later, I found an
 auto upholstery shop that would install it for $75 and voila! a top
 with windows that let the light in.  Finally, I could drive it on a
 cool night without having to zip the window out (for rear visibility)
 and run the heater in the blast furnace position.

    The latest series of projects involves the steering.  The
 turn/dip/horn switch needs to be replaced since the latch that holds
 the switch in the high or low beam position is broken.  The effect of
 this is that the high beams come on upon acceleration or braking, and
 the low beams are on the rest of the time.  I finally pulled the fuses
 for the high beams so that they would not bother oncoming motorists.
 This does cause problems when I'm out in the country and want to see
 what's just a little bit further down the road, so I ordered a new
 switch and am ready to install it.  This brings me to my next
 question:

    What is the best way to pull the steering wheel on the TR-8? The
 repair says to use a "suitable puller".  Most steering wheel pullers
 are designed to pull the steering wheel hub using two bolts that screw
 into drilled and tapped holes in the hub.  With my TR-8, the steering
 wheel hub does not have these holes, and I don't know what to do next.
 I am trying to fabricate a tool that would pull on the hub flange that
 the wheel is attached to, but I am hesitant to do so because I'm not
 sure how much force can be applied to this flange before it would
 crack.  For your information, the steering wheel that I have is shown
 on page 36 of TRF's TR-7 and TR-8 catalog as part number PKC 1295
 (bottom center drawing--not the inset).  This drawing shows the some
 of the nine screws and nuts that attach the wheel to the hub flange
 that I am proposing to pull on.  Any hints?

    Another steering project involves the power steering rack.
 Whenever the wheel is turned sharply, I get a squirt of power steering
 fluid from the top of the valve assembly which inevitably ends up on
 the underside of the TR-8 and from there, onto the garage floor.  It
 seems that the seals for the power steering control valve are shot and
 need to be replaced, so I am contemplating the removal of the power
 steering rack to rebuild the valve assembly.  Does anyone have any
 hints or suggestions to offer before I begin?

    This appears to be a big job--I have to support the engine while I
 lower the subframe to get enough room to remove the rack assembly.  I
 also have noticed that there is a knocking sound in the steering when
 I hit a series of bumps in the road, and there is a bit of free play
 in the steering wheel.  The repair manual shows a plunger that presses
 the pinion gear onto the rack gear, but it does not show any of the
 parts used for the control of the power steering fluid, as if the
 description is for a non-power rack unit.  The owner's manuals fail to
 show the power steering equipment on their description of adjustment
 on this plunger.  So, I am turning to all of you for some guidance.
 Adjustment of this plunger would have to be done while the rack is out
 of the car, so it looks like now is the time to do it.  Needless to
 say, I will gladly accept any suggestions on how to do this job!

    Finally, on the left strut tower, there is a sticker that says
 "T.P.A Paint".  Does anyone know what this means? I plan on repainting
 the TR-8 in the near future and I don't want any surprises after I get
 done.

    This message will be the last one for a while as I have a few other
 projects around the house that are screaming for some attention.  I
 appreciate any comments you can make regarding the TR-8, and I will
 let you know how everything turns out.

      Tim Buja                             Cherry Valley, IL
      (email via ccm0b@vm.cc.purdue.edu)