Re: Laguna Seca

To: hoosier.utah.edu!racers
Subject: Re: Laguna Seca
From: cs.utexas.edu!eeg.com!akkana (Akkana)
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 90 17:11:07 PST
Josh Sirota writes:
> On Mar 21, 11:27am, Scott Fisher writes:
> >     (Tim found out the hard way not to lift after turn-in when banzaiing
> >     into Turn 6 ... :-( )
> >
> > Into *6*?  I never pushed it hard in 6, partly because I knew I
>
> Except that 6 is SO steep uphill that it was easy to banzai into it without
> being afraid.  Once you'd done it once you could do it over and over again.

In the first session I was braking for six, because I'm a chicken at heart
and it never occurred to me that I could blast through it.  Then at the
debriefing Tim was telling our instructor about how he was going through
6 flat-out and didn't even have to use the whole track to do it.  Blush.
So I tried it, and finally did get to take it flat-out by the end of the
day.  As Scott observes, though:

> > It's very different to be in a
> > car that doesn't lean at 45 dgree angles, and in which you can
> > take turn 4 flat out -- no brake, no lift.  I never tried that in

It's a lot easier to do things like that in a car which corners flat
like a DSP X1/9 ...  Though I think I was lifting for 4.

> I did, almost.  Just lifted at turn in ... that's a really nice turn.
> Same with 3, except that on 3 I came really really really close to the
> edge most times, and one time got 2 wheels off.  The exit of 4 was much

3 was so much fun!  That one I could take flat-out, and in fact I was
even getting sloppy and early-apexing (and got wheels off in the dirt
several times to point out the error of my ways).  Never did have the
self-control to get that apex right ...

--
        ...Akkana               akkana@eeg.com
        SAM Technology, Inc.    {pacbell,lll-winken,ucsfcgl}!eeg!akkana