Re: '71 MGB restoration update

To: alliant!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (local-british-cars)
Subject: Re: '71 MGB restoration update
From: mit-eddie!think!ames!amdahl!drivax!dambrose@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (David Ambrose)
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 90 02:38:04 GMT
In article <9003271749.AA03440@bally.Bally.COM> pete@bally.Bally.COM (Pete
Gregory) writes:

>I have read about an outfit in Santa Cruz that trues/tanks/paints wire
>wheels for ~$50/ea.  Does anyone know of anyone closer?  Otherwise, I'll
>have to make some shipping crates and UPS the wheels down and back.

        The outfit is British Wire wheel.  They have done my wires and they
do a dynamite jobe at a very reasonable price.  Their number is
408/479-4495.  Shipping the wheels is not that big a deal.  Just find a
cardboard box about the right size and pack the rest with cardboard.  That's
exactly how they get shipped from Dayton wire wheel.

>Can the brake lines be gravity bled, or do I have to pump the new fluid
>through?  Can someone give a brake fluid recommendation?  I won't be
>racing the car, you should know.

        They've got to be pumped.  I use Castrol/Girling fluid.  Silicone
works fine but is difficult to purge the air bubbles completely and it
doesn't swell the rubber parts like the Castrol fluid.

        Happy Motoring,
        Dave Ambrose
        Salinas Home for Wayward British Sportscars

--
Play it cool;  play it cool;  fifty-fifty fire and ice -- Joni Mitchell
David L. Ambrose, --  Digital Research, Inc          ...!amdahl!drivax!dambrose