Re: '71 MGB restoration update

To: alliant!Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: '71 MGB restoration update
From: sgi!abingdon.wpd.sgi.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 90 11:40:47 PST
>Since I bought my '71 MGB six months ago, I haven't had much time to play
>with it.  But here's a recap (with imbedded questions for you "B" whizzes):
>
>I turned the key, and it fired up the first time!  It took two more cranks
>to get it running and keep it running (I didn't want to rev it to high
>at first).

Hooray!  There's such a thrill in starting a car like that for
the first time, isn't there?  We just had that feeling with
a friend's Sprite last Saturday, after swapping the head gasket
and installing a choke.  Loads of fun when it roared to life
on the first push of the button!

>       - gas gauge doesn't work  :-(

My '71 B's gas gauge doesn't work either.  Maybe there's
a hidden warranty we can ask about...

>       - don't know if I'm charging or not, until I get a decent
>         12V battery (or does anyone recomment 2x6V config?)

Well, it's the factory setup, but one 12V of the right size
cuts down on weight and makes it simpler to jump-start.  Put
it behind the passenger's seat for best weight distribution,
of course.

>       - no rubber boot over the starter - do I really need one?

Hmmm.  Well, it's only over the solenoid, if I recall (I haven't
checked mine) but if you drive through puddles a lot, it's probably
not a bad idea to keep goo out of the connections.

>I have read about an outfit in Santa Cruz that trues/tanks/paints wire
>wheels for ~$50/ea.  Does anyone know of anyone closer?  Otherwise, I'll
>have to make some shipping crates and UPS the wheels down and back.

That'd be British Wire Wheel.  Say hi to Bruce Erfer for me; we
used to be Healey Club pals a few years back.  I know they do
good work and it's a fair price; they'll probably do my wheels
one day "soon."

>Can the brake lines be gravity bled, or do I have to pump the new fluid
>through?  Can someone give a brake fluid recommendation?  I won't be
>racing the car, you should know.

Use *ONLY* Castrol GT LMA in a British car.  (Yes, yes, you can use
silicone, but -- long story.)  Don't use Prestone or any other DOT 3
fluid -- it eats British rubber seals, and your brakes will give out
on you.

>Thanks for the help.  Someday I'll actually drive the car.  You'll be
>the first to know.

Hey, they're even more fun to drive than they are to work on...