SU's, GT!

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: SU's, GT!
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 08:12:19 EST
        from  Miq Millman (miq@sgi.com):
> SU H2's, they are harder to adjust, but keep their adjustment longer, and add
> about 10-20 horsepower.  SU H4's are nice too. the H# is the number of 1/4"
> over 1/2 inch the carbs are.  So H2 is 1 inch H4 is 1 1/2 inches.

Right Idea anyhow- SU type H (Horizontal) carbs are sized as follows:
        Bore = Base H (1") + # x 1/8"
        H  = 1"
        H1 = 1 1/8"
        H2 = 1 1/4
        H4 = 1 1/2
        H6 = 1 3/4
        H8 = 1 8/8 = 2"
H is the base type, HD uses a Jet with a diaphram, HS uses the improved jet
with integral plastic fuel line, HIF are the fat ones w/integral float,
which were created to meet EPA specs.

        We were planning on trailering the new (74) GT home this weekend.
Well, it's been so long since we bought a *functioning* MG, (duh!), that we
overlooked the obvious. Yesterday we went to the DMV, paid the governer,
and left with a new set of plates. Larry called and said "you want to come
over tonight, before the weather gets bad? I've got the lights bolted back
on." Well, of course! So off we went, and retreived it. Came right home,
and I disgorged the bumpers, boxes of interior stuff & door handles, and
took off for a proper drive. There's this great test road, just up the
street :-) Down the 1st straight, 90 left curve, the right, then down to
the creek, up and into some hairpins, which exit into a long straight,
(watch out for the chickens!) then a rise, and more curves. Brakes and
Shocks performed evenly. The engine was smooth, although a bit anemic.
It's got it's original 18V series engine, introduced in late 71, with
the brain-dead cam and distributer. We'll have to do something about
it eventually. I do have one spare 18GB in my '67 parts GT that will
do nicely.
We've still got a lot of work to do, touching up a few areas, doing a
complete once over, and reassembling. A real paint job gets to wait a
couple years. It's great to be back in a 'B again!
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | 40 years of MG 1934-1974
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!