MGB heads wanted

To: uunet!alliant.alliant.com!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: MGB heads wanted
From: mit-eddie!sco.COM!sam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Sam Sjogren)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 90 17:03:48 PST
I'd like to get my hands on a couple/few '71 MGB heads (mate
to an 18GK engine).  The specific model year/type is due to
racing rules that say that I may update/backdate only
"complete assemblies", and an engine/head combo is a "complete
assembly".  Hm, does anyone have any magic spells to stop MGB
heads from cracking?  I've been told that the 18GK is probably
about the best MGB engine (note that I'll be balancing and
blueprinting this engine), partly due to its having full-floating
wrist pins; any counterviews out there?

Does anyone know of just how far down you can mill an MGB
head before you either breech a water or oil passage or cause
valve crash with a fairly stock cam?  I'm allowed to mill my
head down to rebuild tolerances, but if I can't find a specified
minimum head thickness then I'm just concerned with practicality
(as much as racing ever considers practicality, anyway!).  I'd love
to be able to cut about .1 inch off my head to help the compression
increase a bit.  Preignition isn't too much of a problem, as
I can run up around 103 octane fuel, I seem to remember.  Oh, yeah,
has anyone ever milled a head at a bit of an angle, so that the
greater amount of material is removed from the side of the chamber
that has greater volume?  This would probably only be useful if a
limited amount of material can be removed (i.e., if a minimum head
thickness is specified) and you get to take the mean measurement
in the middle of the head.

-me