Muffler woes

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Muffler woes
From: uunet!cadnetix.COM!waynea@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Wayne Angevine)
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 90 11:32:37 MDT
Well, I fixed my turn signals on my Datsun 2000 this weekend.  Everything
takes longer, but in this case, only cost 75 cents for a new indicator bulb.
The problems were the typical former-owner-or-alleged-mechanic-couldn't-
even-put-keyed-connectors-together-right type stuff.

I really need some advice on my exhaust system.  Some of you must have
run into similar problems.  Nothing of the stock system remains.  Back
of the header flange is a pipe which runs to the *outlet* port of a generic
rectangular muffler.  The port has become loose from the muffler case and
leaks like crazy.  The other end of the muffler is welded to a pipe which
snakes its way back to the rear of the car, no problem.

I assume that the muffler is hooked up backwards because that way the
ports match the pipe positions.  I know that it's backwards because it
has "INLET" and an arrow prominently stamped in the sheet metal.  The
muffler is the usual rectangular ovoid.  I'll attempt a drawing (bottom view):

                        -----------------------
                ---------                     |
                ---------                     |
                        |       Inlet ->      --------
                        |                     --------
                        |                     |
                        |                     |
                        -----------------------

So, some questions:
1) Does it matter that the muffler is backwards, either mechanically
   or functionally?
2) Can I get a muffler of similar shape which would work correctly if
   hooked up this way?  (In other words, with the ports reversed.)
3) Can the muffler I have be repaired and used as is, ie. by welding
   the loose pipe to the case?  The muffler is in good shape, no rust,
   looks practically new.
4) Should I replace some or all of the system with aftermarket stuff?
   If so, how much and what brands?  I'm interested in a moderate noise
   level and good flow, and I'd like a nice sound.  Right now, the system
   is quite noisy in a not-particularly-pleasant way, but I assume that
   at least some of that is due to the leak.
5) If 2 or 4, can I do the work myself?  This would mean that whatever
   I used was clamped together, not welded.  It would also mean cutting
   the existing pipes by putting the car on jackstands and crawling under,
   not likely to be very pleasant.
6) If not 5, how do I find a decent muffler shop?

Thanks for the help.

BTW, has anybody figured out that the posting about the 1966 Healey in
the barn for $1300 must have been an April Fool's joke?  I could be wrong,
but....

Wayne