Re: Muffler woes

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Muffler woes
From: mit-eddie!decvax.dec.com!metaphor!twisted.metaphor.com!borman@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Tom Borman)
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 90 08:50:29 PDT
Wayne Angevine writes:
>4) Should I replace some or all of the system with aftermarket stuff?
>   If so, how much and what brands?  I'm interested in a moderate noise
>   level and good flow, and I'd like a nice sound.  Right now, the system
>   is quite noisy in a not-particularly-pleasant way, but I assume that
>   at least some of that is due to the leak.

I had good results with a cheapie in my Europa. After we built a fresh motor
for it, my friend (with an engine dyno) and I tried a number of exhaust
alternatives.
        Brand                   Comments
(1)     none (straight pipe)    good power but *quite* loud !! :-)
(2)     SuperTrapp (2.25")      down about 20 HP from (1)
(3)     TurboSonic (2.25")      down about 3 HP from (1). Nice sound.

Given that the SuperTrapp is rather expensive ($200?), the 15-17 extra HP
from the cheapie ($30?) TurboSonic were very welcome.
The use of a large diameter secondary pipe (2.25") made a huge difference.
Don't ask me why, I'm just a dumb SW guy, but I like the kick in the pants.
Other Bay Area SOL'ers can attest to the nice noise it makes (and the power!)
after Saturday's drive/BBQ/bench race.

Of course, all this pertains to a TwinCam motor, rather different than your
2000. Your mileage may vary.

Tom Borman      R^2S    Europa TCS