Healeys, Miatas, MG's

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Healeys, Miatas, MG's
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 90 08:33:59 EDT
No, Real ones this times folks. :-)
[BTW, Just for reference, due to whatever network delays, certain
"inovative offers" came in the middle of the pack. But, the folks who
called might have had an actual advantage....:-) :-) :-) ]

Scarborough Faire has a new 32 pg. Big Healey Catalogue available.
($3.00 list), For 100-4, 100-6, & 3000.

        1151 Main St.
        Pawtucket, RI 02860
        (401) 724-4200
        (800) 556-6300
I've been dealing with these folks from time to time for 10 years. Usually
low prices, good parts & service, not always much of a catlogue. (one is
comming out for Spridgets.) They also have parts for MGA's and B's.

-Does anyone have a spare tonneau cover that will fit a 64 Spridget hanging
around? (condition not real critical)

Steve mentions:
>The new Mazda MX-5 has more British links than just it's heritage, it's
>prototype was designed by a small Engish firm called IAD based in Worthing,
>West Sussex - a small sea-side town where I was born!

And that's only part of the story. In the Jan. issue of Saftey Fast!,
there is an article on Motorfair 1989 (in Engalnd, folks). It seems that
The Mazda Product Programme Manager responsible for the Miata, Toshihiko
Hirai, had a bit more than passing interest in designing in a "British
Car Feel". He owns an MG TC!
        Here we see even some of the most die-hard British car fans, the
members of the MG Car Club, getting excited over the recent introduction
of the Miata in England. Little wonder- They are even more starved for
LBC's than we, and now Rover is even beginning to retire the MG badge
from their "sporty" sedans. (There are still rumours of something more
interesting with the MG badge, but not real soon. :-( )  And, given the
high cost of older cars in the UK, what to choose for a new car becomes
obvious. I'm just happy that "our cars" are still so affordable here, I
certainly can't afford a new Miata.

>From Lee Henderson:
>I have a '62 MGA Mk II with the 1622 cc engine, HRG-Derrington light-
>alloy cross-flow head fitted with Healy valve springs, humongous valves
>of some unknown origin, overbored block with an AEH 714 (3/4 race)
>cam and a Derrington extractor exhaust manifold.  My question is this:
>Where do I set the timing?  The main unknown is the cam.

It's simple- set it where it works! Timing specs are picked for a compromise
between fuel economy, power output, emmissions, and performance. You
obviously don't have an "economy" setup, :-), so you want to maximize
performance. This is accomplished by advancing the timing as far as possible,
without pinging. The higher grade of gas you use, the further advanced you
can set the timing. If you get some poorer gas, then just turn that little
vernier knob back until you get better gas again. Do not let it ping, as
that kind of detonation can lead to burnt pistons. Oh, and I wouldn't
expect a very even idle with that setup either. :-)
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!