Spitfire for $150

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Spitfire for $150
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 14:01:29 EDT
Written by L.B.:
  >It's a British Racing Green 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500.
  >It's got a verified popped engine (internals became external)
  >We think we can get it for $150.
  >1. Anyone have recommendations for a fresh engine.
  >2. Are there any major gotchas that we have to watch out for.

Good question on the engine.  '76 non-California was high-compression.  Maybe
just rebuild (or replace) with original.  I'd bet the block is busted if
"internals became external" tho'.  Check the differential for noises and
the presence of oil.  There are other things to look for but most can be
fixed easily.  Check the trunnion bushings, i.e. for the bolt that holds
them to the lower A-arm.  Check that the trunnions were lubbed reasonably
often.  Check that the frame is in good shape.  As always, check the rockers
and floors.

Yep, spring is here.  It snowed in Boston over the weekend.
Jim