RE: April fools...

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: RE: April fools...
From: mit-eddie!cbmvax.commodore.com!jesup@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Randell Jesup)
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 14:17:25 EDT
>What a great April Fools joke.

        No, it was actually a lousy April fools joke, since it showed up
on my system two days before April Fools.  It would have been a wonderful
April Fools joke if it had been April Fools...

>I've read two letters so far from people on this list who thought that
>the "car was there's".  Just because they replied quickly with a higher
>offer than asking price.  One (Randell J., I think) even wrote to the
>list telling us that we shouldn't even bother writing her since the
>car was basically his.  After all, he responded quickly with a higher
>offer.  And that we shouldn't bother getting into a 'bidding war'.

        If it wasn't obvious (maybe it wasn't), that bidding war remark
was mainly a joke.  (I thought I put a smiley on it.)  The main point of
the letter was (a) I already offered more than asking, so sending in messages
saying "I'll take it for 1300" was a bad idea, and (b) that the "person"
said that they didn't read the list, so sending requests for more info, etc
to the list was a waste of bandwidth.

        BTW, some people from the list tried to locate the person through
cornell and phone company information...

        'nuff said.

        Randell