Wrong Marque, Wrong Time : Re: Right place, Right time!

To: british-cars@aberffraw.sw.stratus.com, racers@aberffraw.sw.stratus.com
Subject: Wrong Marque, Wrong Time : Re: Right place, Right time!
From: caloccia@aberffraw.sw.stratus.com
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 90 17:56:06 -0400
------- Forwarded Message

> From mjb%hoosier@cs.utah.edu Sun Apr  1 16:52:47 1990
> Subject: Right place, Right time!

> bells perhaps you have heard of recent rumblings implying Rover, who still
> hold the names MG and Triumph are thinking of getting back into the sports
> car world in response to the Mazda Miata.  Let me say that without getting
> into too many details, that the new Rover offering will NOT be an MG, even
> though that is a more well known marque.

> And it looks as if the "appropriate use of a 1991 XXXX" roadster may

------- End of Forwarded Message

        Well, 1991 maybe mjb's dream, but the 9 April 1990 AutoWeek (US)
(page 9) reports that Sterling Motor Cars president Graham Morris said a body is
being styled and engineers are looking for ways to have a new _MG_  sports car
ready for 1993 introduction. The program has yet to receive formal corporate
prodcution approval though.

        Morris told _CAR_ (UK) magazine "There are 300,000 MTs on the road in
America. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to realize it's a greatly
respected marque."  [Then again, maybe Graham made that last comment on
 1 April. :-)]

        Scrapping thoughts of using a turbocharged Rover 'k' engine, it looks
as if they may use a 1.6L 4-banger from the Honda CRX, in a ``miata''-sized
two-seater based on the floorpan/suspension of a Rover 200.

        FWD, MacPherson struts w/ coils in front, and a multi-link suspension
(again coils) in the rear. Wish lists include Leather seats (& steering wheel
too), power accessories like windows & seats, and oh, like $20,000 US.

        Maybe Mark just had the marque and Date wrong... :-)

        --bill