carb tuning

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: carb tuning
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 90 13:26:39 EDT
Some thoughts on why the engine stumbles when you put your Uni-Syn over
one carb, but not the other. Lets try to look at things from a couple of
different viewpoints:
-It's possible that the carb you are blocking is doing most of the work, and
 when you block it, you are running off a poorly adjusted carb.
        -One side may rusult in a bigger change in air-flow than the other.
                -Leaky throttle shaft.
                -Throttle opening on other carb too small.
                -This is a Z-S. -could a perforated diaphram on one carb
                 or the other cause this symptom?
                -Is there a blocked internal air (or fuel) passage?
        -Fuel mix on other carb off.
        -Where are the vacumn lines connected? The advance may be changing.
-Why should blocking the float vent affect short-term operation?
        -Sticking float valve, causing some vacumn, instead of drawing in
         more fuel.
        -Wrong fuel (float) level? This is actually a good candidate, as
         many people don't bother to "sync" their float levels. (In an SU
         anyhow, you can remove the piston/needle, look down and *see* the
         *assembled* float level in the bottom of the jet. I should add
         this to my "Tuning SU Carbs" tech note.) When you block the air
         intake, you are likely to cause a richer mixture, especially if the
         fuel level is high, or the needle is off.

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!