Re: Datsun 2000 carb swap / dieseling / Webers for sale

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: Datsun 2000 carb swap / dieseling / Webers for sale
From: mit-eddie!pwcs.StPaul.GOV!phile@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 90 11:36:51 CDT
I would definately run either premium unleaded or the highest-octane
leaded.  Do you drive this car a lot?  Is this an aluminum head?  How
hard are the valve seats?  Do you fear valve wear?  The dieselling is
probably a form of "knock' and is not doing your engine any good.
Seems like a good British deal, though.  There used to be a joke:
"There will always be a England.  When you try to  shut it off, it
just runs on and on and on."  I never had it with my 1275  Spridget,
though .  Must have a low-compresion engine.  My Rover 2000TC with the
10-to-1 compression ratio needed Super Shell or it would go all the
way back to England on the diesel.  It had a perfectly flat head (no,
not a flathead, it was SOHC, no rocker arms) and hemi chambers in the
pistons.  I'm told this is a common diesel design.  No
kidding,Sherlock, It thought it WAS a diesel.
So what was the deal with the Weber, you just couldn't get someone to
fix the mixture?  I think I'll stick with the SUs, I autocross stock.
People tell me that stock Spridgets can't be fast in stock any more.
So far, they're right!  I have my Yokos now, though, things may
change!
--
Login name: phile        In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324