Original Engines and Carbs

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Original Engines and Carbs
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 90 15:15:35 EDT
The comment on Sunbeams not having their original engine is valid, but
not just for Alpines, but many LBC's. (and yes, you can tell. Some
cars stamp the engine # on a plate on the body as well, or if it's
a different engine size than they made that year....) Why? It's quite
simple.  It's quite often easier and/or cheaper to insert an engine from
a parts car (crunched or rusted) than repairing the old one. And sometimes,
there's a nice performance benefit, like when you put a 1275 in your 1098
sprite. :-) I have a couple of original car/engine combinations, but they're
not necessarily together as one unit.

>From one of the "number of folks watching Waynes Fairlady progresss-
on the dieseling problem in his 2000: you may be running hot
for some reason- Timing, lean mixture, etc. Or have high compression. You
should check your valve clearences, especially as this is a new rebuild.
A different grade/brand of gas may make a difference, as may "running it in".
A couple of ways to avoid/reduce the problem:
        -Step on the throttle as you shut down. This will allow a leaner
         air mix which may not detonate as well. (this is what those anti-
         diesel soloniods do)
        -Step on the brake, and clutch, and with the trans in 1st gear,
         ease up on the clutch as you turn off the key, effectivly "stalling"
         the engine.
I might not mind a pair of 45DCOE's. But then I'd need a manifold as well.
And needles and jets. And some money to buy it all. Sigh.
        Well, I've started feverishly working on the new GT, trying to
get the body sealed/touched up for the weather, rebuild the brakes, mount
better tires, get it running decently, and a long list of other stuff, to
get it into shape before the Outback Rally. It would be nice to be able
to shake it down *first* !!!

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!