Re: '77 MGB engine question -- MORE ABOUT NOISES

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: '77 MGB engine question -- MORE ABOUT NOISES
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 90 17:49:59 PDT
Speaking of engine clanging, our '66 B has started to make a funny noise
once it warms up.  This noise is especially audible when the engine
is decelerating.  The noise sounds like a ringing or a vibration or
a buzz.   It sounds the loudest from the bottom of the car, maybe
towards the back.  It is inaudible when standing over the open hood.
The noise occurs both when the car is in gear and out of gear (i.e. in
neutral.)

We suspect it could be a loose exhaust bolt, or something like that.
Anyone have any experiences with temperature-dependent noises?  Could this
be a "bad engine noise?"

Lydia Gregoret
gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

P.S.  I _swear_ it's a real noise, Andy B.