bloody hell

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: bloody hell
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 90 19:45:12 PDT
I'm fed up. I thought I'd modernize, make my life easier, install one
of those new-fangled spin on oil filter adapters. I've been living with
canister filters since 1972 (first on my mercedes, now on Sarah) and
I was really looking forward to it.

[The Mercedes was really bad -- the canister was positioned just off
vertical up amidst the front suspension. There was no way to get it out
without spilling at least half the contents on your hands, and often
face, as you lowered it.]

Well, this is the second day I've been defeated by the damned thing. I just
can't get it to seal! Most of the leak seems to be at the junction between
the adapter and the filter head, but there's a little between the filter
and the adapter.

Is there some trick to getting one of these on? It's a Tecalemit head,
a FloTec adapter (from TRF, who's going to get a phone call from me tomorrow),
and the correct oil filter (also from TRF). The adapter's snugged pretty tight,
probably about 20-25 ft-lbs. It's almost as if the supplied O-rings
aren't quite the right size.

(Speaking of which, when I removed the canister and cleaned up the filter
head, I found not one but two large sealing rings, much to my amazement.
No wonder it was hard to get one to stay on last time! I still have the
old ones -- is this worth a try to seal it up?)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! The
weather is too nice not to be able to drive!

chris