Re: TR6 rear end "CLUNK"

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: TR6 rear end "CLUNK"
From: mit-eddie!tellab5.tellabs.COM!kegel@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dave Kegel)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 07:28:37 CDT
Hi!  i had the same type of noise in my TR6 for about the first 6 months that I
had it.  I assumed it was U-joints also. (which it usually is).  However, when
I finally got around to checking it out under there, much to my surprise it
was only a loose, albeit very loose by this time, rear shock.  One of the 2
bolts holding it on had actually dissapeared.  i tightened it up and no more
noise.  Hope your's is a simple fix also.

On another note.  i've been reading about the TR6 tire size discussion.  I have
a set of the Michelin Red lines on my car which are in relatively good shape
but as others have said, they're pretty lousy tires.  I have seen several 6's
with 215/60hr15's that seem to fit and the height difference is negligable.
The 205's as someone mentioned are too short IMHO and the speedo difference is
just to great.  Plus it looks kind of funny with all that extra room in the
wheelwells then.  Actually, the Tire Rack (in IN) had a great deal on
Yokohama AVS dry tires. $90 a piece for 215/60VR-15's.  That's a great tire at
a great price.  however at this point in time I still couldn't justify the
expense.
                        Good luck with "The 6". They're great aren't they?
                                Dave