TR-4A rear end

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: TR-4A rear end
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!kent@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 90 19:34:18 PDT
IRS, of course.

Driving around and seeing that the new oil pump gives me 10 more psi
when running hot got me so excited that I decided to tackle the rear
end. Some of the parts for the complete going over are backordered, but
I figured I could at least install the new lever shocks (the existing ones
don't hold fluid AT ALL) and get the new rubber packing pieces in at the
ends of the springs. That and a good cleaning and maybe some paint.

The shocks came out easily -- in fact, the right one was loose (so
*that's* what that clunk was). The shock links were in truly wretched
shape -- completely free rotation at the ball joint (the new ones don't
want to move at all). Someone elongated the hole in the right trailing
arm -- I don't understand why, and I'm not sure yet whether or not to
worry.

After releasing the shock link, I thought I should just be able to lower
the trailing arm until the spring came out. Not so. Detailed inspection
leads me to believe that you have to dismantle the axle shaft (which
means taking off the hub) in order to lower the t-a fully. Too much for
one day. But I thought I'd look thinkgs over while I was at it.

Both gaiters are cracked; not a surprise. One is missing a retainer
clip; not a big surprise. But ... one shaft wouldn't extend very far. I
peeled back the gaiter and discovered a threaded cap (grease retaining?)
that had to be removed to disassemble things. The other shaft has no
such cap, but the shaft looks like it might have been threaded once and
ground down. The parts manual and workshop manual don't mention such a
part. Anyone care to hazard which is correct?

Also, could someone tell me an equivalent grease to "ROCOL MOLYTONE 320
or Duckham's Q5648 Grease" for lubricating the splines here? And what
the heck is Expandite Sealer Strip and am I likely to find any?

BTW, if you don't know about it, tri sodium phosphate is a great
substance for cleaning greasy deposits from large areas. Find it at your
hardware store. Mix with water and use a scrub brush. Cuts grease
very quickly. I was amazed to find that there really is black
undercoating in Sarah's wheel wells!

chris