IMPORTANT NEWS

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: IMPORTANT NEWS
From: "S.W. Cox CMP Staff" <mit-eddie!sys.uea.ac.uk!swc@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 11:29:08 BST
Well, after two weeks of hols I've just waded through quite a few messages
from this list and thought I would add to its length. About some magazine
articles I have recently read.

First, in an interview with the Rover publicity guy, Your Classic magazine
said that Rover have plans to reintroduce both the MG and Triumph marques
in the 90's if demand - mainly from the States - was great enough.
"The names aren't dead, they're just sleeping."

On the way home I was flicking though another magazine which had quite an
eye-opening article on MG. Apparently Rover have full production plans on
an MG sports car and could have it in production in two and a half years.
The problem is that they will have to decide in a few months whether to
go for it depending on forcast sales. However, Rover bases that on the sales of
sports cars in the last couple of years - which wasn't too great - rather than
looking at expected sales for cars like the Miata and the large loyalty
base such cars would command. The magazine then provided a cutout coupon to
send of to the head of Rover to demand the production of the machine. I
can't remember which magazine this was in as I was in a rush and didn't
have any money on me but I haven't been able to find the article since. I
expect it was the April addition so it may have been a hoax but it seems
a bit too elaborate. It also had a concept drawing of the new MG which was
a 'bulgy' Miata style car with normal - rather that pop-up - headlights.

So if you have a spare few minutes, write a letter to the chairman of Rover
about Triumph and MG and it may do some good.

Now for the bad news. Despite saying that they would not interfere, Ford
look set to scrap Jaguar's F-type project because of its expected small
market sales and the design is TOO TRADITIONAL - also because of delays
with the GM designed transmission (!)

    __     __
   ||| \_/ |||           Steve Cox
 __|||||||||||__         Norfolk  UK.