re: MPG survey

To: alliant!alliant.Alliant.COM!british-cars@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: re: MPG survey
From: sgi!europa.esd.sgi.com!steve@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Steve Valin)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 90 18:13:57 PDT

Nark Mason writes:
>Well, I have a TR250 and not a TR6, but it's close, and it's not a late
>model, but it's not too far off. It doesn't have the emissions stuff the
>later ones had so I guess it should get a bit better mileage. The engine
>is completely stock with around 80K miles and I get just under 30mpg,
>running on 92-94 octane unleaded.

Incredible!!  My TR-250 gets about 20mpg with the stock carbs and smog setup.
I thought my car was running too rich.

On a side note,  my 175CDSE's are a bit tired.  In order to get the car to
run smoothly, I disabled all the smog devices on the carbs.  I guess I'll now
have to play with the mixture.  My question is: has anybody replaced the
Z-S 175's with SU HIF6's?  My neighbor (who works on Jaguars) has done this on
some Jags with success.  It looks like the carbs would bolt right up to the
stock manifold.  He can get me a new pair for around $350.  What do you think?

--
steve valin
steve@sgi.com           "DON'T YOU FUCKIN' LOOK AT ME!"