BBC (Big British Coupe) Pings

To: mit-eddie!Alliant.COM!british-cars@GARP.MIT.EDU
Subject: BBC (Big British Coupe) Pings
From: mit-eddie!ames.arc.nasa.gov!decwrl!imagen!iitinc!hedley@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Hedley Rainnie)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 90 13:28:55 PDT
Hello. My 85 XJ-S (BBC) from the fine Lucas pedigree has decided that at 52k
miles it wants to ping even with the most dear petrols available (Chevron 92).
My mechanic says that at 50k plus Jag's (the 12's anyway) develop carbon
on the pistons and only (what I would interpret would be a costly) head removal
will truely cure this ill. In the now though he says it will not harm the
car and the pinging will only come on under heavy load. He did check the timing
but it was only off by 2 degrees (not enough to cause this). Does this seem
reasonable? I am most concerned about the damage to the car, it is a truely
beautiful automobile, so good in fact I will get another one day.

Thanks Hedley

PS: Am I the only one with an newer Jag on this list? I have only seen
references to older LBC's and SOL's. BBC -> Big British {Coupe|Conv}

{decwrl|sun}!imagen!iitinc!hedley  | Integrated Information Tech.
hedley@imagen.com                  | Santa Clara, CA. (408)-727-1885 x49