Mixing leaded and super unleaded

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Mixing leaded and super unleaded
From: mit-eddie!sco.COM!banta@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (no user servicable parts inside)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 90 3:58:27 PDT
Ok.  I'm no chemist.  I barely passed one semester of chemistry.
But I was told about mixing leaded (88 R+M/2 octane) and super
unleaded (91-92 R+M/2 octane) would yeild a octane level in the mid
to high nineties.  This could be entirely bogus.

What isn't bogus is that this mixture eliminates pinging and run on
in my MGBs, as it did in a Fiat Spider I once owned.  Super unleaded
never did the trick on any of these cars.

Take it for what it's worth.

andy
banta@sco.com