101 uses for an old car

To: Alliant.COM!british-cars@acsu.buffalo.edu
Subject: 101 uses for an old car
From: mit-eddie!hercules.acsu.buffalo.edu!tobin@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Mike Tobin)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 9:02:33 EDT

> I would dearly love to know what the H**L good cars like these do sitting
> in someone's garage undriven?  I don't know that many museums that would
> want to have very large paper weights... :-).  There is LITTLE in this
> world more fun than driving a nice car (like an E-Type).  It pains me
> to think of all those undriven cars just sitting there gathering dust.
> They should be going flat-out through the country-side  8-) or be donated
> to us. ("Hmmm...letmesee, I'll take the Claret one in the corner over
> there...")
>
>  Christopher M. Perez         chrisp@mrloog.WR.TEK.COM

The Brits, of course, have the right idea about this sort of thing.
About a year ago in one of their old car mags I saw an article aobut a
Bently Club gathering at Brooklands.  They'd brought thier Speed 6s, 4.5
Blowers, etc not to sip Claret and compare the depth of each others paint:
they'd come to set SPEED RECORDS!

The cars are all worth well into six figures, but there they were at
130mph+ on the banking: it must have sounded great!.  One guy had more
enthusiasm than skill, and trashed the car.  He said someting like
"Well, I guess I'll have to fix it up before the meeet next year."

All this was reported matter-of-factly as though "why else would you
gather all these cars together?"

Mike Tobin