Octane Cheating

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM (TR Group)
Subject: Octane Cheating
From: Larry Gillam <mit-eddie!hpfcpq.fc.hp.com!gillam@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 90 13:10:18 MDT
        I was browsing through my local paper and, in light of the recent
        discussion about octane ratings, I thought I'd reprint a portion
        of the article. Here goes.....

        -------------------- Start Article -------------------------------

        REPORT: OCTANE CHEATING COSTS U.S. MOTORING PUBLIC MILLIONS

        WASHINGTON (AP) - Motorists are losing more than $150 million
        a year at gas stations that sell low-octane gas at high-octane
        prices, and the federal government is doing little to stop it, a
        congressional report said today.
                The General Accounting Office said a two-year study, which
        included random testing of retail gasoline in four states, showed
        widespread mislabeling of gasoline octane levels.
                The GAO estimated that about 9% of gasoline sold nationwide
        is mislabeled. It said that more than half the samples taken in two
        large cities last year - Detroit and St. Louis- were found to have
        octane ratings an average of 2.2 or more points below what was
        posted on the pump.
                In some instances, gas stations were pumping all their gas
        out of the same tank but selling it as having different octane
        ratings.
                A 1978 law requires the Federal Trade Commission and the
        Environmental Protection Agency to enforce compliance with federal
        petroleum marketing practices. But the GAO study said the agencies,
        citing lack of funds, have not carried out testing since 1981.
                The federal law requires uniform yellow and black octane
        labels on all gasoline pumps. Violators may be fined up to $10,000
        for each instance.
                Mislabeling has been minimal in states that conduct their
        own tests.
                But in non-testing states visited by GAO investigators,
        problems were found, mainly at the distribution and retail levels,
        the report said. One-time testing was conducted in Michigan,
        Missouri, Oregon and Tennessee, GAO said, and investigators also
        looked at Indiana, Montana and Washington.
                Federal standards say regular unleaded gas must have an
        octane rating of 87, while mid-grade gasolines have ratings of
        from 89 to 91 and super or premium grades have ratings of 92 to 94.
        The difference in retail price between the lowest and highest grade
        ranges up to 20 cents.

        This is disturbing! How is the octane rating tested? Is it possible
        to buy a inexpensive kit to do an infrequent test at favorite gas
        stops?

                                        Larry Gillam
                                        Loveland, Colo.