Midget almost on the road

To: british-cars@morpho
Subject: Midget almost on the road
From: uunet!morpho!alan@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Alan Dahl)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 09:50:27 PDT
This weekend finished rebuilding my ZS carb on my 78 Midget,
re-attached it to the intake manifold, bolted the manifold on,
attached all the water hoses, turned the starter, two cranks and
VROOM!, started right up and ran great.  But after about 5 minutes
of idling it began to run a little rough.  Pulled the plugs and they
were black as night with carbon.  Obviously running too rich, which
was one of the reasons I took the carb apart in the first place.

I thoughly cleaned everything in the carb in the course of rebuilding,
replaced all the gaskets from the kit I could identify (there were
plenty left over) and set all the setting as stated in my Hanes book.
The questions I have are:

    1) What are good initial settings for the decelleration bypass valve
       and the CO adjustment?  I set each at on full turn out.  My book
       doesn't seem to help much.

    2) What could be causing it to run this rich?  I am going to get that
       special allen wrench tool to adjust the needle (which was set at
       the height reccommended in Hanes) today.  Could it be the heat
       mass in my water choke?  Could I have forgotten a gasket somewhere?
       Any other ideas?

The other problem is with cranking over.  The car is very hard to crank
unless I jumper it.  It has had this problem in the past and I've twice
replaced the battery (bad each time).  Each time it helps for a while
and then it starts acting up again.  Could I be undercharging or over-
charging it?  Could I have be leaking water into the engine?  I've
not been able to find any water in the engine or anti-freeze in the oil,
but the anti-freeze is a nice kacki color.
      ___    __    __    __          __      Alan Dahl
    / / /  /  /  /__/  /__/  /__/  /  /      North American MORPHO Systems
   / / /  /__/  / \   /     /  /  /__/       1145 Broadway Plaza
                                             Tacoma, WA. 98402, USA
   PH:  1 (206) 593-8021
   FAX: 1 (206) 591-8856
   ...amc-gw!morpho!alan