Tales From the New Hampshire Woods

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: Tales From the New Hampshire Woods
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 90 12:00:53 EDT
(I wonder how the Outback turned out this weekend...)

The second bi-ennial Upper Right Coast SOL Gettogether happened this past
Saturday at Rob Rimbold's place in southern New Hampshire, on the edge of
The Wild, so to speak.  In attendance were Rob (of course) with his brace
of TR-7's (one of which was very impressive indeed), Pete Brady fashionably
late and demonstating the latest in Japanese off-road comfort equipment,
Bill Orr later-still but fully equipped with a driven-daily black TR-6 and
a dashing Scottish accent, Dale Cook in the lone rogue MG B-type (looking
considerably more polished than he seems to think), Bob Leger winning the
Classiest Wheels award for the chrome-wire-with-humourously-oversized-tires
on his beautiful TR-250, and Sharon and myself in Percy, the dauntless
Spitfire.  The day started so hot that we choose to make the run to N.H.
top up for shade but with all windows rolled down or unzipped, stopping
for frozen yogourt at an ice-cream stand at the foot of one of the runways
of the Lawrence Airport.  With all the curious hardware buzzing 100 feet
overhead, Percy wanted to join the fun, but could manage only 6 inches of
altitude.  (Must've been the heat.)  The day ended so cold that we rolled
and zipped up the windows for the ride home!  But between the two extremes-
of-weather trips, we spent a fun afternoon filled with various forms of
English (or English-derived, Bill insisted that Canada makes the best) beer
and cars, punctuated by tales of (1) cars we have known, (2) companies for
whom we have worked (it seems that we all had some connection to either
Alliant or Apollo and (not so strange) we all worked in computers!), and
(3) stories from the British Ilses.  Other activities included a quick tour
of the surrounding area in fine British-motoring form, with some swapping
of drivers so as to share the experiences.  Thanks to Rob for the 'burgers
and pyrotechnics.  We enjoyed the picnic very much.  Let's do it again!

Jim Muller, Keeper of the Flickering Flame