SU Tuning

To: mit-eddie!ftp.com!british-cars-local@EDDIE.MIT.EDU,
Subject: SU Tuning
From: linus!att!speedy!gerry@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 90 10:14:14 -0400
Friday: Picked up the cylinder head from the machine shop, installed
the valve guides, valves and valve springs. Removed the steering rack,
the radiator. Tried to remove the crankshaft pulley nut - no luck !. Had
a cup of coffee and contemplated next move. Cup of coffee finished, remove
the sump, wedge a piece of 2x4 between the crank and the block. Tried to
remove the crankshaft pulley, - success !. Removed the timing cover, the
timing chain, the camshaft and the distributor. Look at my watch and see that
it is 9:00 pm - have had time to say hello to the wife !! I have just time
to have a shower, scrub my hands before going to bed and falling fast
asleep.

Saturday: wake up at 7:00 am, brush my teeth, and am, in the garage by
7:30. New camshaft goes in (liberal doses of cam lube), timing pulley and
timing chain are fitted after the timing marks are aligned. Cam
followers fitted, new front seal fitted, and finally the timing cover is
ready to go on. Go into the kitchen to boil some water for the coffee.
Wait a few minutes and drink a cup of coffee while cleaning the sump
and removing the old gasket. Sump goes on with no problem, new oil
filter fitted. Steering rack goes back on and the tie rods bolted tight.
Remove the cylinder head gasket from its packet, and place it on the block.
Gently lower the cylinder head on, and finger tighten all the bolts. Open
the MG manual to get the correct tightening sequence. First at 10 lbs/ft,
then 20lb/ft, 30lb/ft, 40lb/ft and finally 50lb/ft. A final check with
the torque wrench, every thing looks okay. Lunch time approaching - finally
still said hello to the wife. By this time she is wondering who the
stranger in the house is !!! Have lunch, lie down for an hour and catch
Motorweek on PBS. Back to the garage. Fit the push rods, and rocker assembly,
adjust all the valves, and finally fit the distributor, check the static
timing, everything looks good. Am starting to get a bit tired, maybe a cup
of coffee will help me along. Fit the carb and exhaust, two of the manifold
bolts are a $%^&* to get to but manage to tighten them up. Feeling very
tired by now and decide to pack it in for the evening. Have a shower, scrub
my hands clean, go out to a bar for a drink and later to a restaurant for
dinner. I keep yawning at the dinner table and threaten to fall asleep.
In bed by 10:00 pm

Sunday: Seeing as it is Easter Sunday, decide to lie in bed for a while,
but keep thinking about the project in the garage. Get up, brush my
teeth, am in the garage by 8:30. Radiator is fitted (what a #$%^&^ to align
all the bolts up ). Fill the radiator with water, pour in some fresh
Castrol 20/50, hook up the choke and accelerator cables, check everything for
tightness, look around the garage to see if there are any bolts/nuts/pieces
lying around, which I may have missed !!. Remove the spark plugs, turn
the engine over, and hey presto we have oil pressure. Remove the rocker
cover and check head, and rocker assembly bolts, looks good  and plenty
of oil flowing. Reconnect everything, pull out the choke, dab the throttle
a couple of times, engine fires with no unexpected noises. Check ignition
timing, everything is spot on. Let the engine warm up and listen for anything
unusual. Its Lunch time again !!. Rest for a while, the body is starting
to ache again. Go back after lunch, remove front left suspension and
replace all rubber bushes with urethene bushes. Fit aeroquip brake hoses
all the way around. Starting to get late in the evening again. Decide to
call it a day.

Monday: Go to work and arrive home at 5:30pm. Remove front left suspension
and fit urethene bushes. Check all bolts, everything seems ok. Time to
go to bed.

Tuesday: Arrive home early, a friend comes round to help me bleed the
brakes, mmm they feel good. check oil and water, start the engine and
drive round the block a couple of times. Pull into the garage, replace
the hood, check all the bolts again. Drive to the car club meeting,
in the evening with the radio off, listening for strange noises. Nothing !!
Arrive home at 10:30, notice that my temperature gauge is reading higher
than usual. Check water and notice that about 2 quarts are missing, mmmm
where did it go, check for leaks, no leaks found.

Wednesday: Drive to work and notice that by the time I arrive at work the
temperature needle is again higher than normal. Pour in a couple of
quarts of water. ( lucky I carry 2 gallons with me ). Arrive home in the
evening and notice that I am loosing water. Water pump is working, radiator
is not blocked, thermostat is opening correctly, conclusion - head gasket is
leaking. Check the torque of the cylinder head bolts, and notice that 4 of them
are loose !!!!!!!. Remove cylinder head, find all 4 cylinders with water.
Try to diagnose the problem, finally decide that the head bolts were the
problem.

Thursday: Pick up a head gasket, from the local supply house, arrive home
at 5:30, fit new gasket, fit cylinder head, take great care in torqueing the
head down. Wife brings me a cup of coffee. Fit the carb and exhaust, two of
the manifold bolts are still a $%^&* to get to. Fill radiator with water.
check head bolts for the 4th time, Fire engine for 3 minutes. Check the
head bolts again.

Friday: Drive to work, temperature gauge staying normal - I am going
out at lunch time to check the head bolts and see if I have lost any water.
Keeping fingers very tightly crossed.

PHEW WHAT A WEEK !!!!!!!!!!

PS - Looking forward to the Outback rally next week - the "TEAM SOL"
decals are on the car, got my highlight markers and clipboard - now
I just hope the car stays together !!!!

PPS - talking to wife again !!!

Gerry.