Re: What brand oil do you use?

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com, djd@eos.arc.nasa.gov
Subject: Re: What brand oil do you use?
From: mutchler@ebay.sun.com (Dan Mutchler)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 90 10:09:47 PST
I personally use Castrol 20W-50 in everything I drive. Consumer
Reports did an extensive test about 5 years ago and found that this
oil was slicker than everything tested, including the synthetics.
They found it so much slicker that they retested it using several
different batches because the results looked suspicious. They even
stressed it to the equivalent of 20,000 miles and tested it against
new oil, and it still had better lubricating and viscosity properties
than everything else they tested.

As a second testimony, my friend starting using it after a fresh
engine rebuild on his Toyota diesel. After 10,000 miles the car was
still using a lot of oil, so he had the mechanic look at the car.
The mechanic inquired about the type of oil and when he heard it
was Castrol told him to not use it for the next 5,000 miles. Seems
they have had a lot of problems with engines not breaking in when
Castrol was used because it was so slick the necessary friction couldn't
take place. Seems a little far fetched to me, but it seems to be
working. Miles on Quaker State seems to be reducing the smoking.
When it stops smoking (as much as a diesel can) he'll go back to Castrol
and see if the smoking returns.

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@zule.EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
There is no such thing as sanity.
And that is the sanest fact.
                  --Mark Knopfler