Re: brakes

To: "bcr!hpspdln.spd.hp.com!dickn"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: Re: brakes
From: taichi!whs70@bellcore.bellcore.com (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 10 Dec 1990 13:51 EST
>After two recent disasters with girling/castrol brake fluid on
>auto paint, I am wondering about changing to "dot5". Will "dot5"
>harm rubber parts in Girling brakes? Are there other pros and
>cons? How bad will it foam? etc  .....
>
>looking for the facts/thanks/dickn

If I recall correctly, DOT 5 is Silicon brake fluid.  And,
as I've already posted, I have been using it for over 5 years
in my TR-250 with no ill effects.  We (the Vintage Triumph
Register) published an article on Silicon brake fluid several
years ago and, to my knowledge, we have never heard from
any of our 4500 members that any of them have had a problem
using silicon brake fluid.

When I converted to silicon on my TR-250, I simply used a
whole lot of it and completely flushed my system until
I no longer had any trace of the regular brake fluid,
so the internal rubber parts are still those that were in the car's
brake system before the conversion.

Bill Sohl                      ||  email
Bellcore, Morristown, NJ       ||   UUCP    bcr!taichi!whs70
(Bell Communications Research) ||    or
201-829-2879 Weekdays          || Internet  whs70@taichi.cc.bellcore.com