Kerosene in the brakes?

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Kerosene in the brakes?
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 90 10:43:11 pst
From: mjb@hoosier.utah.edu (Mark Bradakis)

>When honing, do it gently, and use a good splash of lubricating fluid.  For
>aluminum, I usually use kerosene as the lubricant.  Well, to tell the truth,
>I usually use charcoal lighter fluid from the barbecue supply shelf, as it is
>mostly deoderized kerosene.  Hone a bit, then look at the surface.  You don't

Everything I've ever read says to never under any circumstances use petroleum
based solvents in a braking system since the residue (which is nearly impossible
to remove) may contaminate the brake fluid.  Because of this, I've always used
brake fluid as a honing lubricant.  Have I been misinformed?  How about some
comments from you brake experts out there.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM
CSX2282

P.S.  Dale, add my thanks for getting the bc-list back up.  It's great to see
          all thoses messages again.