Valves, Seats, and smilies

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Valves, Seats, and smilies
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 09:11:25 -0600
   I'm glad the list is back, although it was to late to lament my LBC's
most recent problem.

  The low-lead( read as unleaded ) gas monster raised it's ugly head last
week and took a large size bite out of my wallet.  My MGBGT had been getting
steadly worse over tha last month or 2 so I took it into the local sports
car garage for a tune-up.  Seems like it needed more than just a regular
tune-up though, 0 compression in cylinder number 1.  They suggested a burned
exhaust valve, I said "Oh well, fix it."  They did.  From what they told me
the exhaust valve seats were completly gone in all four cylinders, probably
from the lack of lead in the gas.  The worst thing about the whole affair
was not having my car for 9 days, I was beginning to suffer from it.  However
I do have hardened valve seats now so I can get gas anywhere, within reason.

Teriann:  I assume from your posting that your MGBGT is pre-72,3 correct?
If so how about putting seats in from one of the newer MGBGTs?  I have a
74 GT and have been told that the seats are very comfortable.  They are cloth
covered though so that may have something to do with it.  The only problem I
have with them is that the ratchet for the drivers seat is broken which allows
the seat to lean back to far.  With that fixed and a new diaphram it would be
great.  I'm not to familar with the passenger seat though. :-)

  So much for valves and seats, what about smilies?  Smilies is what you have
when driving your LBC after 9 days of absence and it drives like a new one.