Don't use Clymers manuals!

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Don't use Clymers manuals!
From: Stardent.COM!jmuller@bu.edu (Jim Muller)
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 90 09:05:32 EST
LRC has suggested (with regards working on a Midget):
I also really like my old (25 years old) Clymer.
   and
I have found that the contemporary Clymers is a good manual for beginners

I had some experience with a Clymers manual for a VW Dasher.  Fortunately
I also had the factory manual.  The Clymers manual had several serious
technical errors and wrong specs.  I heard a similar story from others
about their Clymers manuals.  I'd suggest you use one only if you have
some other source for specs.  If I had set the timing on that Dasher by
the Clymer manual, it would have been maybe 10 degrees or more too early!

Jim