Valve job

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Valve job
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 08:43:11 -0600
Roger Garnett wrote:
>On Dec 13,  9:11am, Timothy Lyle Smith wrote:
>} Subject: Valves, Seats, and smilies
>}
>}   The low-lead( read as unleaded ) gas monster raised it's ugly head last
>} week and took a large size bite out of my wallet.i
>
>How much does a place get to do the whole job? I hate to think.
>Did you get new valves, seats, and guides?
>
>Just think- now you'll be able to find out how good your rings are.
>(new, higher compression, due to better seating valves, could
>show up weak rings)

  The whole job cost $374 plus odd cents.  Of that $288 was labor.  New
parts included hardened valve donuts, valves, and gaskets.  I don't
remember if new guides were installed, don't have the bill handy, but I
would suspect that they were.  Only the exhaust valves were done.  I pondered
this for a while and decided that it must have been the heat of the exhaust
gases combined with the lack of lead for buffering that must have eaten away
the exhaust valve seats.  Sort of like hot steam against contaminaed iron.
I believe the reason the intake valve seats survived was because of the cooling
effect of the in-coming gas-air mixture.  If anybody has a better idea of
what really happens there I would like to know.

   Hopefully my rings aren't going to fail, I just installed them about 30,000
miles ago.  Of course not knowing how long rings are supposed to last.....

Tim Smith
Minard 300                      UUCP:        ...!uunet!plains!tsmith
North Dakota State University,  BITNET:      tsmith@plains.bitnet
Fargo, ND  58105                INTERNET:    tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu