Re: Valve job

To: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.nodak.edu>
Subject: Re: Valve job
From: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 11:13:20 PST
>I believe the reason the intake valve seats survived was because of the cooling
>effect of the in-coming gas-air mixture.

You're pretty much right on the money there.  Lead forms (well,
used to form) a protective coating of sacrificial metal on the
valve seats, intended to lubricate and protect the metal on the
cylinder head.  This is mainly an issue on exhaust valves and
not for intakes, for the reasons you mention (heat of exhaust
valves, cooling of intake charge).

>The whole job cost $374 plus odd cents.  Of that $288 was labor.

And it was only yesterday that Andy asked me, "So, have you
gotten to the point where you'll never take your MG to a
mechanic again?" :-)

>   Hopefully my rings aren't going to fail, I just installed them about 30,000
>miles ago.  Of course not knowing how long rings are supposed to last.....

This is a B, right?  Assuming the rings were installed
properly and that you change your oil regularly, you should
get another 100,000 miles out of them.