Re: copper brake lines

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Re: copper brake lines
From: doddp@ecn.purdue.edu (Paul E Dodd)
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 90 12:29:59 -0500
More on the subject on strain in brake lines-

When I was redoing my lines, I couldn't find a single line long enough
to reach from the front junction to the rear axle.  I had to splice
together two (steel) lines to reach.  A friend of mine who used to be
a professional mechanic (now a grad student in EE, you figure it out)
told me that the compression fittings that a lot of people use in such
applications aren't strictly legal, because the ends of the line aren't
flared and won't take the pressure as well.  Given his reputation as
a mechanic I'm inclined to believe him, but I wonder if anyone else
has heard of this?  I used a flare union to connect the 2 lines, but
of course a compression fitting is a lot quicker.  And last week I
noticed that my 'A has a compression joint fitted by a previous
owner.  (then again the 'A weighs 1 ton as opposed to 2 tons for the
Jag...)

Paul