Address

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Address
From: gerry@speedy.att.com
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 90 10:57 EST
> I use steel braided hoses too, They help reduce spongyness. I wonder
> about copper lines however. Are they some special copper tube intended
> for brake use?

Yes, these kits tend to be very popular in England, I have never heard
of a failure due to the copper lines bursting.

> If so please tell us where to get it.

I remember Brown & Gammons sold kits for any "modern" MG and
also SpridgeBits sells the kits for the Midgets. I do not know
of any supplier in the USA who sells these kits.

Well the engine is out of the Midget again for another rebuild this year
year !!! I recently took part in an endurance rally of 300 miles on forest
roads and unfortunately things did not go as planned. At about the 50 mile
mark I noticed what I thought was a sticking throttle cable which I
assumed was from all the dirt being thrown up at the engine. Conditions
were very bad, having rained heavily about an hour prior to the event.
Anyway, 45 miles down the road, the trottle did not move at all, but seeing
as halfway point was only a couple of miles away, I left it alone.

At the rest break, I sprayed the whole ofthe carb with WD40, and this seemed
to have solved the problem, although not perfect, the car was driveable.

A few more miles down the road, I noticed funny things happening
to the oil pressure. For every 5 miles that we travelled, we lost 5 lbs of
oil pressure !!!! When the oil pressure reached 20 lbs at 5500 rpm, we
decided that there was a major problem with the engine and decided that
our day was over. We managed to limp home slowly (with oil prssure now only
5 lbs) and made it okay. The next day I decided to take the engine apart
and found HUGE quantities of dirt and sand inside the engine. Upon
close inspection it was obvious that the air fliter had failed and allowed
sand to enter the engine.

I took the engine to the machine shop last week, and although the
cylinder head suffered no damage, the crank, pistons, camshaft and all
bearing surfaces were totally destroyed.

Moral of the story::: Make sure you have a good, clean and effective
air cleaner

BTW: the air cleaner I was using was a Weiand Ram-Flo (about 2 months old).
I have written two letters to the manufacturer and their reply was that
I fitted it wrongly !!!!!!!

My advice: stay away from these pieces of crap and use K&N instead

Gerry