[no subject]

To: british-cars@pinocchio.encore.com
From: furbush@wsl.dec.com
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 90 15:55:33 PST
>>I had some experience with a Clymers manual for a VW Dasher.  Fortunately
>> I also had the factory manual.  The Clymers manual had several serious
>>technical errors and wrong specs.  I heard a similar story from others
>>about their Clymers manuals.  I'd suggest you use one only if you have
>>some other source for specs.  If I had set the timing on that Dasher by
>>the Clymer manual, it would have been maybe 10 degrees or more too early!
>>
>>Jim

>I had a similar problem with my Moke (1275cc).  The genuine Leyland
>workshop manual (Mini - all models) said the the advance should be 3 degrees,
>but the Moke handbook said 13 degrees (BTDC).  Checking with other "general"
>garage engine manuals, etc., I found that the Workshop Manual is WRONG.  This
>is a little worrying as they should be last people to make a mistake...

My TR-3 manual understands that there will be differences in gas
quality, altitude, and the general tune of the engine.  For these
reasons, they encourage the mechanic to set the timing until pinging is
experienced during acceleration under a load (going up a hill), then
retarding the timing slightly from that point.  I also recall similar
instructions for my parent's venerable '72 Toyota Corona.

------- End of Forwarded Message